Senior writing tutors are available to work with you. Sessions are designed to help in the development, organization, and writing of graduate-level projects, including MRPs and Master and PhD theses in any discipline.
We work with students and faculty at any stage of writing - just beginning, near completion, or resuming after time away.
Sessions are 1.5 to 2 hours.
Sessions are available by appointment.
Distance students and faculty away on sabbatical are encouraged to use e-mail or Skype tutoring.
Students may still book regular appointments.
Tutors for this program have advanced degrees and are experienced writers.
» What should I expect during a tutorial?
The centre’s tutors will work with you to:
- Develop and determine a direction for your writing.
- Strengthen your writing.
- Identify reoccurring grammatical errors or structural problems.
If you don't know where you are going wrong with your writing, we can help.
» What should I not expect during a tutorial?
The centre does not:
- Proofread or edit papers during tutorials.
- A professional editing service is available separately for some types of graduate work, for a fee.
- Comment on the content
- Comment on a graded paper
- Comment on a professor or instructor
- Offer suggested grades for a paper or assignment
» What should I bring with me to a tutorial?
- University ID
- Your assignment instructions or question(s)
- A hard copy of your writing
- Any notes or previously marked assignments, as this may facilitate the tutor’s understanding of your specific needs
- Specific questions or specific areas that you feel need improvement - if you don't know, that is okay!
» How long do tutorials last?
Scheduled sessions with senior tutors are 1.5 to 2 hours.
Shorter tutorials are available with our regular writing tutors (50 minutes scheduled, 20 minutes drop-in).
» How do I book an appointment?
- Register and book appointments online.
- Call 902-491-6202
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drop by the office (Burke 115)
» What else does the Writing Centre offer?
- Extensive online resources
- Guides and handouts
- Events for the Saint Mary’s community, such as the annual Scrabble Smackdown
» Cancellation Policy
- All appointments must be cancelled at least 24 hours in advance
- Failure to appear for a booked appointment will result in a block of access to the centre's services
- A $10.00 cancellation fee will be charged
- Failure to pay this fee may result in withheld transcripts