China and Saint Mary's Through the Decades
Canada/China Language and Cultural Program (CCLCP) — 1982-1997
- CIDA-funded program; SMU partnered with Beijing Normal University and University of International Business and Economics.
- Established language-training centre at Beijing Normal University and cross-Canada network of regional orientation centres for Chinese scholars and students coming to study and research in Canada.
Canada China Management Education Program — 1983-1986
- CIDA-funded program to promote business education and establish MBA programs in China; SMU partnered with the University of International Business and Economics and Xiamen University
- Saint Mary's established partnerships in the business sector and was involved in helping Xiamen University to build its MBA centre, believed to be the first of its kind in China.
Shandong Teachers University Exchange Program
Community-based Conservation Management in China and Vietnam — 1998-2003
- CIDA supported program to develop institutional expertise in ecosystem health and conservation management through community-orientated field training and activities
- Saint Mary's took a leadership role in $7 million project working with Xiamen University and Fujian Agriculture and Forestry University
EMBA for China Minmetals Corporation
- Saint Mary's delivered two Executive MBA Programs on behalf of China Minmetals Corporation to train and upgrade its middle management.
Master of Finance for Chinese Students in Halifax
- Over 300 students have completed this degree program with Saint Mary's. Many of them have also obtained CFA designations and are now working in China's financial sector.
Beijing Normal University Zhuhai — 2002-present
- Our partnership with BNUZ encompasses study abroad programs, transfer credit agreements, a satellite campus in China, and institutes for faculty and staff.
China Migrant Labour Occupational Health and Safety — 2008-2013
- Federal government-funded project in Chongqing, in partnership with Foundation for International Training
- Led by Dr. Kevin Kelloway, project focused on occupational health and safety in the workplace, with training for government and other agencies in Chongqing to reduce incidence of workplace injury, illness and death, particularly for migrant workers.
Student for Development — Food Security — 2011-2013
- Partnership with Shaanxi Normal University
- Internship exchange for students to carry out research in issues related to food security in mountainous regions.
Confucius Institute — 2011-present
- This Institute in partnership with Xiamen University provides Chinese language instruction and accreditation at Saint Mary's, and teaches about Chinese culture.
- Dr. Robert Summerby-Murray, President and Vice-Chancellor of Saint Mary's University has travelled extensively to China with both the Premier of Nova Scotia and the Mayor of Halifax.