International Master of Teaching English
Success as an English teacher in an international setting requires a solid foundation in current approaches to English teaching, and extensive practical experience in a wide range of language learning environments. The Saint Mary’s IMTE program combines these foundational and practical dimensions of international English language teacher preparation through an innovative curriculum. This includes dynamic classroom instruction, extensive practicum experience and continuing development of communication skills in English. It is a winning combination that adds up to professional success.
The Saint Mary’s IMTE will provide you with a sought-after Masters degree in Teaching English as an International Language. The IMTE also offers preparation for various certificates from Cambridge Assessment English, part of England’s world-famous Cambridge University.
This is a full-time, four semester (16-month) degree program. The final semester consists of an intensive practicum that may be completed in an international setting or in a student’s home country.
This program will be cohort-based and delivered in part in an experiential learning format. Students will benefit from micro-teaching in classes, analysis of teaching materials and creation of their own teaching materials.
Key Benefits of the IMTE
- Saint Mary’s University is a Cambridge English Language Assessment Authorised Centre, part of England’s world-famous Cambridge University
- Saint Mary’s University has a long history of international education and intercultural engagement
- Masters programs in Teaching English as a Second Language have been taught for 30 years in the Faculty of Education
- The Faculty of Education and the Language Centre are longstanding partners in the areas of curriculum and support for teaching and learning
- Saint Mary’s University played a leadership role in the Canada/China Language and Culture Program for English language teacher development in China
- Saint Mary’s University benefits from a longstanding collaboration between the Faculty of Education and The Language Centre, providing opportunities for practical classroom experiences
- The Faculty of Education has access to TESL resources at the renowned Saint Mary’s University Language Centre
- A suite of internationally recognized Cambridge teacher training courses are available to Faculty of Education students, including the CELTA
- The IMTE Program offers practicum opportunities at the Language Centre, in the broader Halifax community, and internationally
- The IMTE includes opportunities to progress along the Cambridge Teacher Framework, leading to internationally recognized certificates from Cambridge Assessment English
The minimum requirements for entry into the program are:
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited or recognized institution. Although a degree related to the field of language studies, especially English language studies, is preferred, the IMTE admissions committee will be assessing each application and its related degree(s) on an individual basis.
- Documented English teaching experience, or its equivalent
TESOL-I, i.e. CELTA or equivalent, in the estimation of the admissions committee.
- A demonstrated interest in pursuing a career as a teacher in the field (e.g. through the required letter of intent, through education, through evidence provided by the required CV and/or other documents accompanying the application, etc.)
- Non-native speaking applicants—the target cohort for this program—must submit an English language proficiency test result (TOEFL iBT; IELTS; Cambridge First Certificate in English) in compliance with Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research regulations, namely, an overall IELTS score of 6.5, with no individual component score below 6.0. The acceptable scores in other test formats are readily available as equivalent pairings with the IELTS score gradient.
The International Master of Teaching English program includes 16 months of study divided into four 4-month semesters. Each semester is comprised of three parallel streams of study.
» Coming soon
Total fees for four semesters: CAD$20,000.
International practicum, optional: additional fees may apply
Apply for IMTE
Applications for the IMTE program are now being accepted. Please click on the "Apply Now" button below to begin your online application.
Saint Mary’s University:
Tradition and Excellence
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary’s University is one of the oldest degree-granting institutions in Canada. It is also known as one of Canada’s most international universities.
The campus is located on a single beautiful city block, where you will quickly feel at home.
Established in 1957, the Faculty of Education is interdisciplinary in scope and intercultural in outlook. It was a pioneer in China engagement, and has a 25-year track record of excellence in preparing teachers for careers in teaching English as an international language.
Class sizes are a maximum of 20, so professors will get to know you, and you will form meaningful connections with other students.
We care about your academic performance and your future. This kind of personal support gives you a winning advantage.
For further enquiries, please contact us below:
The Centre of Atlantic Canada
Saint Mary’s University is located in Halifax, the major port city on Canada’s Atlantic coast. It is the capital city of Nova Scotia, one of the four provinces of Atlantic Canada, and the economic and cultural centre of the region.
Halifax is a historic city in a beautiful natural setting. Here you can explore some of the oldest settlements in North America, visit fortresses and lighthouses, and be inspired by the distinctive maritime architecture.
Enjoy breathtaking views of the ocean, and endless opportunities for outdoor adventure. You will be amazed by the vast forests, clear lakes, deep blue skies, and rugged coastline that is unique to Nova Scotia.