Get a head start on university now
Meet students like you, and make friends
$200.00, including all meals, supplies, and taxes.
Students also receive a comprehensive writing guide and writing manual.
Writing at a university level is demanding, whether it is for Business, Arts, or Science. The Summer Writing Workshop provides you with an opportunity to develop the skills and knowledge required.
You will work in small groups with trained instructors who will give you personal attention and immediate feedback on the types of writing you will encounter during your university career. The workshop will provide you with the edge needed to succeed in your first university year and beyond.
If you have difficulty with academic writing, this workshop will provide you with improved academic skills.
The workshop is open to all students attending any university or college.
The workshop focuses on different aspects of university-level writing tailored for Arts, Sciences, and Business, including:
- Two days of classroom instruction
- Extensive writing resource materials
- Panel discussion with Saint Mary’s professors
- Individualized feedback
- Residence packages available
Examples of workshops offered:
- Business writing and communication
- Analytical and critical thinking
- How to avoid plagiarism
- Attend a lecture given by a university professor
- How listen to a lecture and to take effective class notes
- Proofreading and editing your own work
- Constructing a university paper
- Writing science lab reports
- Grammar – the root of all good writing
- Improve your academic skills
- Learn clear, effective writing
- Meet other students before starting school
- Meet professors and service staff
- Understand what your professors are looking for and understand their expectations before you have to hand in assignments
- Get feedback on your writing
- Take away a collection of vital writing resources and tools
Please only bring a laptop if required as a learning aid.
Register online or by phone. For more information, call 902-491-6202.
Dates: August 14 & 15, 2018
Time: 9:00 am to 5:30 pm
Cost: includes taxes, meals, and all materials
$200 — without residence
$266.65 — with single residence
double residence also available
Please note: It is possible to stay an extra night or two in residence. Ask us for details! And please indicate whether you need these extra nights when you register.
Register by Friday, August 10, 2018