Our goal is to help you become a better thinker and writer. Tutoring helps you understand how to strengthen your writing now and in the future.
» What should I expect during a tutorial?
The centre’s tutors will work with you to:
- Develop and determine a direction for your paper or assignment.
- Strengthen your paper or assignment.
- Identify reoccurring grammatical errors or structural problems.
If you don't know where you are going wrong with your writing, we can help.
» What should I not expect during a tutorial?
The centre does not:
- Proofread or edit papers
- Comment on the content
- Comment on a graded paper
- Comment on a professor or instructor
- Offer suggested grades for a paper or assignment
» What should I bring with me to a tutorial?
- Student ID
- Your assignment instructions or question(s)
- A hard copy of your writing
- Any notes or previously marked assignments, as this may facilitate the tutor’s understanding of your specific needs
- Specific questions or specific areas that you feel need improvement - if you don't know, that is okay!
We will not work on electronic versions of the document.
» How long do tutorials last?
A scheduled appointment is 50 minutes.
A drop-in appointment is 20 minutes.
Extended appointments are available for students who require consultation for graduate-level projects. See below for details.
» How do I book an appointment?
- Register and book appointments online.
- Call 902-491-6202
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drop by the office (Burke 115)
» What else does the Writing Centre offer?
- Extensive online resources
- Guides and handouts
- Events for the Saint Mary’s community, such as the annual Scrabble Smackdown
» Cancellation Policy
- All appointments must be cancelled at least 24 hours in advance
- Failure to appear for a booked appointment will result in a block of access to the centre's services
- A $10.00 cancellation fee will be charged
- Failure to pay this fee may result in withheld transcripts
Senior writing tutors are available to work with you.
Sessions are designed to help in the development, organization, and writing of graduate-level projects, including MRPs and Master and PhD theses in any discipline.
We work with students at any stage of writing - just beginning, near completion, or resuming after time away.
- Sessions are 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Sessions are available by appointment.
- Distance students are encouraged to use e-mail or Skype tutoring.
- Students may still book regular appointments.
Tutors for this program have advanced degrees and are experienced writers.