This guide was created in partnership with the Faculty of Science at Saint Mary's University. The document is available in hardcopy in the writing centre, or online as a downloadable pdf.
Special thank you to the hard work and contribution of the editorial committee for the Guide:
- Dr. Roby Austin, Astronomy and Physics
- Dr. David Dansereau, Biology
- Dr. Jacob Hanley, Geology
- Prof. Roxanne Richardson, Environmental Science
- Dr. Kathy Singfield, Chemistry
- Dr. Lindsey Carmichael, (Genetics) Writing Centre and Academic Communications
Browse related resources:
These style guides were prepared in partnership with Saint Mary's faculty and are tailored to meet the expectations of particular disciplines of study.
Professional scientists and engineers are often required to explain their work to non-specialists, including members of the media and the general public.
The purpose of a lab report is to describe the results of an experiment or research study. University lab reports follow the style and format of professional journal articles, which research scientists use to share and evaluate each other’s work.