A style guide or style manual is a set of guidelines for how documents are to be written and designed. Several well-known style guides are commonly used by specific disciplines and journals.
Perhaps the most important function of an academic style guide is to support academic integrity; following guide standards appropriately will ensure that all sources are documented and credited consistently. Style guides also encourage coherent structure and formatting.
Several helpful style guide resources are available for loan, at both the Patrick Power Library and the Writing Centre. The Writing Centre, room 115 of the Burke Building, also has free style guide handouts designed for a number of SMU departments, prepared in partnership with Saint Mary's faculty and tailored to meet the expectations of particular disciplines of study.
American Anthropology Association (AAA) Style Guide
- American Anthropology Association (AAA) Style Guide
- Saint Mary's Anthropology Department AAA Citation and Style Guide
Includes a sample essay and how to do in-text citations
American Psychological Association (APA) Style Guide
- Purdue Online Writing Lab: A basic guide to writing research papers using APA guidelines
- Saint Mary's Writing Centre APA guides for Psychology, Sociology, and International Development Studies
Modern Languages Association (MLA) Style Guide
- Saint Mary's University MLA Citation Guide for English Papers
Contains a sample English paper, information on how to do in-text citations, and a work cited
- Concordia MLA Citation and Style Guide
A basic guide to writing research papers using MLA guidelines. Topics include: gathering materials, taking notes, using outlines, working with quotations, formatting the paper, and preparing a work-cited page.
- MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers. 2009
Library Reference # LB 2369 G53 2009 REF
Chicago Manual of Style
- The Chicago Manual of Style. 17th Edition
Library Reference # Z 253 U69 2017 REF
- Chicago Manual of Style Online:
Contents and Citation Quick Guide
- Saint Mary's University Department of History Style Manual
A basic guide to writing history papers and how to do proper footnotes